Popular Posts

Translate

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Shoes

     I love shoes. They are my obsession. I can't go into a department store without checking out the shoes. If I find a pair I love, I rarely leave them behind. The biggest part of "people watching" for me, is watching their shoes. This got me thinking, how important are shoes to a first impression?

     I consulted the internet, and found that gijobs.com says this about someone who had a 2nd interview and was up against one other person for the 3rd and final interview: "When he received the call a few days later it was to inform him that the other candidate had been chosen. Of course he asked why he was not chosen and the human resources manager said, "Do you remember when we were walking up to the CEO’s office?" and he said "Yes." "Well I looked down and noticed your shoes were scuffed up. Now you are going to say “What did his shoes have to do with it?” Well only one person is going to get the job. The organization has to use what ever it can to differentiate you from other candidates. You had control over the shoes and did nothing about it. So the assumption is that you do not pay attention to details."

     The number one reason people don't get hired is their appearance. I know that sounds unfair to some of you, but this is why I am an Image Consultant. To help people make good first impressions. Forbes magazine says this: "Think about your ornaments. Clothes, make-up, jewelry, watches and shoes are all types of ornamentation and people definitely take these into account when making initial judgments. I highly recommend getting some of your favorite outfits or ornaments together and asking friends you trust what they think of when they see them." 

     I would be interested to know what people think based on just my shoes... Or maybe not. I like wearing crazy shoes, I'm going to be me!


     I have just converted an old CD rack into a home for 18 pairs of shoes. I'm thinking I need another one! Also, if any of you have cool ways to display boots, please share, because I haven't figured that out yet.

     I am so excited for Fall because I can break out my boots!


 Please pay no attention to the mess on either side. I am in the middle of a process...
 Those red ones with the polka dots on the inside were the shoes I wore for my wedding.


http://www.gijobs.com/first-impressions-are-important.aspx
http://www.forbes.com/sites/yec/2011/11/02/5-ways-to-make-a-killer-first-impression/
This is also an interesting article: http://www.wellesley.edu/news/stories/node/26872

No comments:

Post a Comment