Popular Posts

Translate

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

7 Seasons of Buffy

     Hello again! I hope you all had wonderful weekends. The weather has been amazing here, which has distracted me from my to-do list.

     I wasn't sure of what to write about today, but then I figured I'd just write about how I have been spending my time for the last week and a half.

     I promised a friend that I would give her beloved show a chance that I had never given it before. I told her I would watch 7 seasons of the popular Joss Whedon show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and 5 seasons of Angel. I did this because I will be attending Leaky Con with this friend, and Tom Lenk will be there. Know who he is? I didn't! I still don't actually.

     Anyway, I have watched almost 4 seasons in 9 days. That is a lot of screen time! These are the things I have learned so far: 
1. The 90's offered nothing in terms of fashion.
2. People evolve and change over time and through different circumstances.
3. Good usually prevails.
4. The guy doesn't always get the girl.
5. Don't kids have parents?

     So why am I telling all of you this? There's a point, I promise. Typically when someone suggests a show that I have seen maybe a few clips or a few random episodes of, I nod my head, occasionally roll my eyes and release my opinion. 

     This time was different. My friend gave me this insight: "When I've connected to something on such a deep level and love it so much, that I'm willing to tell someone about it, then they turn that thing down, it's almost like them saying they don't like a piece of me and they're not willing to give it a fair chance". I paraphrased, but you get the idea.

     I had to mull that over a little bit. How many times have you (I know you can relate) watched a movie, listened to a piece of music, read a book or seen anything that was moving or touched you emotionally, and out of excitement you told someone about it, and they responded negatively? I'm guessing you're like me, and it's too many times to count.

     I know what you're thinking, "Take your own advice Heidi!" Yeah, believe me, I've thought about that. I love to tell people to let their freak flag fly without worry of being judged, and here I am being on the judgy side. Yikes! 

     I ate a huge piece of humble pie, and although this show maybe doesn't connect to me personally, I know a lot of people who love it, and feel that I would better understand them as people if I were to watch it. So! I have a lot more watching to do! And I know that my friend will watch all of the Will Ferrell movies with me now. ;)

          

2 comments:

  1. It's hard sometimes, to be objective about your passions. Being active in the "competitive functional exercisers" movement, I see a lot of people be offended that you don't like crossfit (er, I mean "competitive functional exercisers") and prefer something else.

    I love the open minded-ness but also that the giver of the preference ought to be aware that there are "different strokes for different folks" and back off if someone isn't interested in seeing/doing/being involved with that thing at this point in their lives.

    ReplyDelete