Popular Posts

Translate

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Confidence - The New Beautiful

     Happy Tuesday everybody! I am excited to be blogging on a schedule finally. I was reading over the weekend, and learned some interesting things. First of all, most women are dissatisfied with their overall appearance. Why?

     Well, I can't answer for most women, but I know where my insecurities come from. I never wanted to look like my barbies, but I watched a lot of movies. I wanted to look like everybody on screen. In my teen years there were so many makeover movies like The Princess Diaries and She's All That, etc. where the overall message is, you can't be happy until you are pretty according to everyone else. What's crazy about it, is that the characters in the films were happy just the way they were before someone told them they shouldn't be happy that way.

     What is our obsession with beauty? Our culture thinks that if you are not visibly beautiful, you are not worth anyone's time. Do you know what I think? It is amazing what self confidence and a smile (regardless of crooked teeth) will send to a stranger. Confidence is beautiful.

     I spent a good portion of my life trying to get rid of my freckles because of being teased for having them. I don't know when exactly things changed, but somewhere along the way I embraced them, and even started to like them. Do know what happened then? Suddenly I was only receiving compliments for having "such cute" freckles! Confidence.

     The next unfortunate thing I learned, is this: "According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, people between the ages of 40 and 54 had 47% of all cosmetic procedures in 2009, while those over 55 had 26%. From 2000 to 2009, total cosmetic procedures increased by 69%." (FabJob Tag Goulet and Rachel Gurevich).

     What I wish people would understand, is if you are unhappy with something, fix it (yourself). If you don't like your eating habits, fix it. If you don't like your legs, start running. There are so many things you can do other than go under the knife.

     Did you know that if you are wearing the right colors for your complexion, you could visibly look up to 10 pounds lighter and 10 years younger? I'm willing to bet, had some of these women known that, they would have held off on risky invasive surgery.

     I'm going to quote my sister in-law who was quoting something else that I am unsure of. "You don't owe anyone pretty. You don't owe it to anyone to be pretty". I encourage anyone who is self conscious, insecure, or just plain unhappy to write a list of everything you offer the world. Your accomplishments, the things you like about yourself. Do NOT however make this is a good and bad list. Everyone has something they can improve. Only stick to the pros and blessings. Then I suggest (cheesy alert!) putting them up somewhere you can see them on a regular basis. I will admit that I did this for a whole year with lists on my mirror.

     Now for your enjoyment, here is an awkward picture of me and my sister. She is the one circled, I am the one rocking the flood pants and red socks.



     Well, this was lengthy and long winded, but I am passionate on this subject. Be happy everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment