Popular Posts

Translate

Friday, October 11, 2013

Perspective

     Hi everyone! I hope that most of you are having enjoyable Fall weather wherever you happen to be. I know I have said it before, but there is nothing like Autumn in the Pacific NW. I am so happy to be back in sweaters and boots, sipping hot tea and starting a new knitting project.

     As usual, I am having a hard time getting my blogs out on time. I'm going to have to post on Fridays whenever I remember. Sorry! It is so much extra to sit down and write twice a week. I usually have at least one idea, but I struggle with a second. This week, I failed to do my Tuesday post, so that is why I am posting today. Sorry for the weirdness.

     I read something earlier today that mentioned how people need to learn how to explain why they like something. This is especially important for when others feel like it is there obligation to scorn you for liking whatever it is. As I read that, I was thinking, "You shouldn't have to explain anything. You like what you like, and haters can back off". But the more I thought about it, I realized that there are so many opinions about everything, as well as preconceived notions. This means, by having an intelligent non-defensive response to someone who questions your taste, you may be able to allow that person a perspective or side they have not yet seen. Even if they leave still feeling disdain for this said thing you like, you have stood up for yourself in an adult manner.

     True, you can like whatever you want without having to explain, but I like this concept so much. In fact, I can think of a few different times when I mentioned liking something that someone immediately verbally beat me up for liking, or made fun of me for liking it and that person left somewhat convinced they needed to try it, because I shared my passion and explained what I enjoyed most about it. This could be music, books, religious/political views, movies, etc. 

     I would consider myself to be defensive and impulsive sometimes when discussing things that I love, because my mantra in life is be yourself, so when I am being myself and someone puts me down for it my initial response is not always so good. Maybe that is them being who they are. Having a respectful intelligent conversation is so much better than trying to defend something constantly. 

     I have never been very good at avoiding dispute or confrontation, so I am looking forward to making a concentrated effort in this area. I believe it will improve my interactions with others, as well as give me insight and understanding into who my friends are as people. I hope all of you can join me in this challenge. Let's have healthy respectful conversations this week.

     

      

     

No comments:

Post a Comment