Popular Posts

Translate

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fear

     This will be a bit of an update blog for everyone. I had my first speech tonight!! I got a lot of great feedback. There are a few things I need to improve on, but all in all I am quite pleased with myself and can't wait to do it again. I have to get through 10 speeches in 6 months, and I feel as though I can do it in 3.

     If you have a fear of speaking, or are typically shy or nervous around people, I highly recommend you look up your local toastmasters club and try it out. http://www.toastmasters.org/

     I am a procrastinator, so I prepared my speech the night before, and tried to memorize it today. I don't suggest that. It causes a lot of anxiety.

     Public Speaking is the #1 Fear in America, and I have to say I am feeling pretty proud of myself. I was told once that when you feel fear or nervousness, it is actually your adrenaline trying to push you forward. It is your body's way of telling you you're about to do something awesome. I'm not sure if that is true, but I hope it is, and it has certainly been the case for me. I am so glad that when I have been so fearful or nervous that I have continued on anyway.

     I had to prepare a 4-6 minute speech and only talk about myself. That was way harder than I thought it would be. I would much rather talk about someone else or even an event going on then go on about myself. I feel like I do that enough in writing.

     I just want to say thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart to those of you who suggested this, and have been my cheerleaders and support group pushing me to challenge myself.

     I hope to be speaking on self esteem to women in shelters by the end of November, so this is really challenging me. Thanks again. Talk to you all on Friday.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment