Popular Posts

Translate

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

To be 9 Years Old

     Hi all! I am really struggling with the direction of this blog. On one hand I feel that I need to move on to more beauty themed articles like last week's post. I was thinking of branching off of my self esteem rants, but recently have had several people say that they really appreciate the self esteem blogs. This is where I need your help. Please tell me which of the two you prefer. I could even think of a way to rotate; write a self esteem blog one week, and then a different topic the following week. I need your help!

     I was going to talk about trending styles for summer, but in light of what some readers have expressed, I will talk about something that happened on Monday.

     Monday afternoon, I was invited to a "Fashion Show" put on by my 9 year old niece and her best friend. Of course I was delighted, and had no idea of what to expect. They played Katy Perry's "Firework" on repeat for the whole show, and handed out programs. The first category was "Casule Wear" and within seconds it became very clear that neither girl had ever seen a catwalk or fashion show. It was very refreshing to see what two innocent girls saw as fashion.

     My niece wore pink in every category, and neither of the girls did typical catwalk poses. They had props, and acted out what they thought each category meant. Our in between entertainment consisted of the two 3 year olds dancing around while we waited for the girls to change into their next outfits.

     Although this made for a light-hearted fun afternoon, I couldn't help but think back to when I was that age doing those things with my friends. Completely unaware of what colors and styles were actually in trend or popular, I was content being me and showing off what I love, not knowing or caring of the actual world of fashion.

     I think it is time to be 9 again. I do love knowing what is trending, what brands and colors to look for, etc. but I also enjoy doing my own thing and making my own trends. I have forgotten what that is like. I encourage everyone to have something in their wardrobe unique to them. I had a friend back when I worked at Starbucks who made all of her own headbands and I admired her for being so bold. They were so cute and like nothing I had ever seen.

     If you don't have a Polyvore account, I highly suggest it (polyvore.com). This site is great for figuring out your own style. You can create entire outfits, print them out, and go shopping for an entire outfit. Try shopping at unique boutiques that you've never been in, or if you're passing a shop you've never heard of, venture in and look around. 

     Sorry this isn't a themed post. I hope to hear from more of you on the direction you would like me to go with this blog. Thanks for all of your input so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment