Popular Posts

Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vocabulary - Mine is weaker than I thought...

     Hello again! I hope all of you are well. I want to take time to say thank you to all those who sent me private messages and left comments. Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your vulnerability and am inspired by some of the stories you sent. I would like to encourage any of my readers to visit this website, because it is awesome and has real statistics and I found it to be very informative: www.bodypositive.com

     So I wasn't really sure of what to write today (so what else is new?) and ended up reading more about my job description as an Image Consultant as well as reading a few similar blogs to my own on Tumblr (thanks to Jennifer C.) and now have a few ideas.

     Not only am I to help people with how to apply makeup and find out what colors look best on them, but I also teach etiquette. Dining, interview, meeting with a client and the like. The one that surprised me the most is speech. Improving vocabulary, conversation skills, non-verbal communication as well as conversation etiquette. Me? Teach that? Some of you who know me might even be sniggering at this. I am a very outspoken and blunt person most of the time. This means that I have to learn to do all of the things I will be teaching my clients.

     If you haven't discovered this little gem, I encourage you to go to www.vocaboly.com/vocabulary-test and take all the different vocabulary tests on the page. In the beginning, I patted myself on the back, because I did quite well on the first several, but then I was surprised at how much I didn't actually know.

     I am going to take a personal challenge, and you are welcome to join me. I am going to look at a thesaurus every day for the next 30 days, find words that I am not familiar with and practice using them in my every day speech. I will share a word a day on my Facebook page,(www.facebook.com/heidimyworld) as well as my twitter (@heidimyworld) and I will also be using one word in each of my blogs and vlog. Yay me! And us!

     I will even get us started by using one right now! My word of the day is: Xanthic - pronunciation = Zan-thik, adjective 1. of or pertaining to a yellow or yellowish color 2. Chemistry- of or derived from xanthine or xanthic acid. Origin - xanthic entered the English language in the 1800s from the Greek term, xanthos meaning "yellow". What a xanthic bellied coward! Ha! I learned something!

     Go forth, learn and share, my friends!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment